Introduction of Language Help Service
CLE’s mission is to provide high quality language education to students, prepare students for their further study or career development in an international environment, and provide language related support service to the University. CLE is now offering a one-on-one language help tutorials to the whole SUSTech community, including students, faculty and staff. Through our academically-diverse CLE faculty, we primarily provide writing support, speaking practice, course content learning tutoring and Chinese language tutoring for international students.
Anyone on campus is welcome to book a 25 minute session with a CLE faculty member to receive face-to-face language help in person. This language help service is a face-to-face service. (*Gentle reminder: help is not available via email or outside the 25 minute face-to-face meeting.)
Here is a brief introduction of the services we offer:
In tutorials, you are encouraged to bring any writing assignments (essays, research papers, reports, personal statements, etc.) to appointments and consult with our language advisors. Language advisors can help you at any stage of their writing—from brainstorming ideas to refining organization and coherence of the text, practicing editing strategies, and revising the final product.
Though advisors will offer support, you are required to make your own choices about your own writing. We encourage you to make appointments when you are ready to engage in discussions of your writings. Advisors will not take over or appropriate any of your work and are not responsible for any completion of writing assignments. Besides, due to the limited time of a tutorial session, the writing pieces you bring should not exceed 500 words.
Language advisors can help you with speaking skills. You are welcome to make appointments if you want to improve your pronunciation, learn how to start conversations, promote fluency in your English speech and/or practice presentation skills. You can bring your presentation tasks to the appointment to go over with language advisors.
Unlike writing assignments, besides presentations, speaking practice may not be based on specific tasks or products. Thus, you are responsible to specify the elements you want to work on. For example, to improve English pronunciation, you can bring materials to read out loud so that language advisors can diagnose the problems. To practice English conversation, you should try to provide lists of topics.
Chinese Language Tutoring Service
The group of international students and faculty is a significant part of the SUSTech community. With desire to help them better adjust to life in China, we offer Chinese tutoring services. A language advisor who has expertise in Chinese language teaching will provide support in learning Chinese pronunciation, including tones, vocabulary, phrases and sentences, language for daily activities, conversations with native speakers and tutorials related to Chinese language classes.
Schedule and Logistics
Appointments are 25 minutes long. The table below shows the schedule of tutorials. There are altogether more than 60 sessions of tutorials each week, with each language advisor responsible for three sessions. Plus, there are three sessions of Chinese tutoring available for international students and staff. Each tutorial is for one person only.
The process of making an appointment is:
Click here for an appointment. http://ehall.sustech.edu.cn/new/index.html
- Walk-in sessions (coming without appointment) are available for time slots that have not been booked (not marked in red). You can check our Online Booking System and see if there are available time slots on that specific day.
- Each SUSTech member can book a maximum of 3 appointments per semester(walk-in sessions not included).
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please cancel in the Online Booking System at least two days before the scheduled time. If you really need to cancel the appointment within two days, please click “contact the admin”.
- Late cancellation (less than two days) and failure to show up for a scheduled appointment will be recorded. You will not be able to schedule a new appointment for the rest of the semester if you have 2 such records.
- Language Help Service is not available via email or outside the 25-minute face-to-face meeting.
- Due to the limited time of a tutorial, the writing pieces you bring each time should not exceed 500 words.
CLE Writing Center Exhibition: “Writing as Expression”2019-05-23
The CLE Writing Center is proud to announce an Exhibiti […]
Writing Center Success Stories: MIT Exchange Program Acceptance2019-04-16
By: Liu Zirui and Matthew Jellick Throughout the semest […]